Fog over Raritan Bay, as seen from the deck of Raritan Yacht Club in Perth Amboy, New Jersey. Instagram filters generously applied.
As a proud owner of The Google Phone (a.k.a. Nexus 4), I was excited about the release of Android 4.3 (codename “occam”), and promptly installed it. So far I have seen the following “improvements”:
- Snapchat crashes and reboots the device (as described and discussed in )
- Some Instagram filters have adopted a weird green hue, as seen in the image below [UPDATE August 8, 2013] Instagram relased an update this morning, and the green hue is gone
- No other damage so far
- [UPDATE August 23, 2013] Three (three!!!) Snapchat updates after the release of Andriod 4.3, and the crashes seem to have disappeared. I applaud Snapchat, but keep wondering why Google/Android hasn’t taken any action. It seems to me that now Snapchat knows how to crash Android but chooses not to. Android watches idly and passively.
- [UPDATE August 24, 2013] Snapchat crashed and rebooted the phone.
- [UPDATE August 27, 2013] Android 4.3 updated itself to 4.3. Weird numbering sequence, but whatever. As long as the device stops crashing and rebooting, I’m cool. Snapchat hasn’t crashed since the 4.3 to 4.3 update, but I haven’t used it much. Unconfirmed reports from another Nexus 4 user indicate that the crashes still occur, although less frequently. Same user reports that friend with iPhone 4 also complains about Snapchat crashing their phone.
Now before you say that Snapchat and Instagram are silly and don’t I have anything better to do, let me say that this is not about Snapchat or Instagram or any application per se. I am bewildered that an advanced OS like Android would allow a previously-installed application to repeatedly crash the device following an OS upgrade. No matter what the cause of the crash, it’s not the app’s fault.
Instagram today . So brace yourselves.
Here’s an earlier photo of mine that I love:
After Angie Miller was eliminated from American Idol last Thursday, I lost interest in the singing part of the show. But I am still very much intrigued by the “voting” part.
So here is a chart of the contestants’ Twitter followers as of this morning, Thursday, May 16, 2013. The day of the grand finale. Who will be the winner?
According to this chart Candice has a slight edge over Kree, but does that mean much? Because look at Angie Miller, the contestant who was eliminated last week. She has double the followers of Candice or Kree. And she keeps adding followers, despite not being on the show any more. In the week since she was eliminated, Angie has added 26,134 Twitter followers, more than twice the number for finalist Kree (12,662)!
That Angie Miller has star power is indisputable. The question is how to reconcile the discrepancy between her huge Twitter and Instagram following and her elimination from the show. Could it be that Twitter users don’t vote? Or that rednecks don’t tweet? Or is the show rigged?
Either way Angie has already won. Her unfair elimination and the resulting controversy have amplified the buzz around her name. And she got a recording contract already, before the American Idol “winner” is even announced. Isn’t that winning?
Angie Miller’s original song “You Set Me Free” is today.
My original post “” received a lot of great feedback, including alerts about having missed this or that social network or service. Thus a sequel is in order.
The purpose of this post (as well as the original’s) is to share my personal experience with various social networks and online services. To that end, I intentionally did not comment on networks I knew existed but had not used myself. Instagram, Color, Path, Yelp, and a few others fall in that category.
LinkedIn, MySpace, foursquare, and Tumblr were ones that I inadvertently omitted, even though I had used — or even still use — some of them.
Below is the updated list, sorted by A.T. Rank.
|SERVICE||A.T. RANK||A.T. ACCT STATUS||WHAT’S GOING ON|
|10||Active||Where it’s @|
|8||Active||Where everybody’s @|
|Stellar||7||Active||Useful if you tweak your stream right|
|6||Active||Recruiter’s heaven, good for BI|
|2||Dormant||All you need to know about nailcare|
|MySpace||2||Deleted||Where indie bands’ dreams go to die|
|Diaspora*||1||Dormant||There ain’t nobody home|
|Pinwheel||0||Dormant||There ain’t nobody home|
|foursquare||0||Deleted||Populating 4sq’s database for free|
|Klout||-1||Deleted||FreeCreditReport.com for dunces|